Fort Wayne Premises Liability Lawyer

Injuries can happen anywhere, from your personal home to the grocery store, a friend’s house to a public park, and more. Did you know that when an injury happens on the property of another, though, you may have a case for damages against the property owner? Here’s what you should know about what to do if you suffer a serious injury on someone else’s property. To learn more, call our Fort Wayne premises liability lawyers at the office of Keffer Hirschauer LLP directly.

Types of Accidents that Can Lead to a Premises Liability Claim

If you are injured on another’s property, you should call an attorney to discuss whether or not you may have a premises liability claim. Types of premises liability claims our law firm works on include:

  • Slip, trip, and fall cases;
  • Swimming pool accidents;
  • Amusement park injuries;
  • Trampoline accidents;
  • Dog bites;
  • Retail accidents; and
  • More.

Have you been injured in an accident type that you don’t see listed above? Call our team to learn whether or not you have a case.

The Duty of a Property Owner

In order to hold a property owner liable for your injuries, you’ll have to prove that the property owner breached the duty of care owed to you and that the breach was the proximate cause of your injuries. Property owners have a duty to maintain their properties in a safe condition and remedy any known hazards within a reasonable amount of time. As such, in order to hold a property owner liable for your harm, you’ll have to prove that:

  • A hazardous condition existed on the property;
  • The property owner knew or should have known of the condition;
  • The property owner failed to remedy the condition; and
  • The condition was the proximate cause of your harm.

This duty extends to those who are on a property lawfully, including invitees and licensees. The duty does not extend to trespassers, although property owners do have a duty to refrain from causing a trespasser willful or wanton harm.

Damages Recoverable in a Premises Liability Claim

If you can prove that the property owner owed you a duty of care and that the duty of care was breached, you can recover compensation for the full value of your damages. Types of damages that are recoverable include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and all other economic and noneconomic harm.

Call Our Fort Wayne Premises Liability Attorneys Today

At the office of Keffer Hirschauer LLP, our Fort Wayne personal injury attorneys know that you have a lot of questions about your rights after being injured on another’s property. In order to help you secure the best case outcome possible and improve your chances of recovering the settlement that you deserve, please call our lawyers directly today. We can provide you with a free, no-obligation consultation and if we take on your case, we’ll work on a contingency fee basis. Reach us today by phone or online to get started.